TURNING CIRCUMSTANCES INTO OPPORTUNITIES


IF I COULD USE ONLY one word to describe my outfits, then that word would be circumstantial. Why? Due to my circumstances, of course. As much as I would like to have an infallible outfit formula that I could share with you, truth is that I don’t. The number of days I have worn an outfit that has been preplanned the night before are so few in a year that I could probably count them on one hand. Yet, having circumstances dictate your outfit is not necessarily a bad thing.
Take this outfit for example.  

The day before my friend and I took these photos I had planned on combining this delicate pink knit with a lavender pencil skirt I made a while back and a pair of nude pumps I bought from Zara for my graduation party. I was originally going to add on a small pastel bag and curl my hair to complete this feminine look, but the morning arrived with an avalanche of unexpected changes to my schedule. I suddenly had to go to few more places, had to carry more things, had to meet more people than planned, and had to change a number of busses to get it all done on time.
Long story short? I figured that the feminine look I had oh-so-perfectly envisioned was not going to cut it. I needed to wear something that wouldn’t constrict my movements.
So, before I even knew it, my hands were already busy swapping few things: my little pastel bag for my laptop carrier, my lavender pencil skirt for these comfortable stripped pants, my nude Zara pumps for these sturdy Mango gladiator heels, and my hair…well, let’s just say that curling long hair is a lengthy battle that I simply had no nerves for in-between frantically looking for my laptop carrier and trying to find the right underwear for these pants. Yes, the struggle is real.
The strange thing is, though, I ended up liking how this outfit turned out. Like a gradient that goes from light to dark, this outfit went from being delicate at the top to being rocker chic?! at the bottom. The stripped pants proved to be an unexpectedly nice transition from one extreme to the other, not to mention how they perfectly satisfy my menswear addiction.
Lesson of the day? Turn your circumstances into opportunities. Don’t get frustrated just because things don’t go exactly as you have planned them. So what if things don’t go my way? I’ll go out of my way to make a new way. I can get creative. I’ll experiment instead of letting my style plateau. That way, I can experience new things while still staying true to myself. In the end, signature style was not built in a day. Or was that Rome?

Don’t forget to leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
ASPIRE HIGHER!
Lots of love,
Dilek.

_______________________________________________________

O U T F I T   D E T A I L S:
Sandals: Mango // Sunglasses: Almera // 
Pants: My design

_______________________________________________________




Labels: