I WAS WALKING AROUND A home improvement and DIY store the
other day when I came across this marble-patterned contact paper. If there is
something you need to know about me is that I love marble patterns and I always
wanted to have a marble desk.
Since recently I started using an electric sewing machine, my old
SINGER
sewing machine that has been in my family for 5+ generations retired and
started working part-time as a makeshift desk. My mom put a rectangle plywood
board {
probably
leftover from one of dad’s projects. He made both my wardrobe as seen HERE and
installed THESE shelves few days ago} atop
of it and I instantly had the idea of wrapping this gray-white marble contact
paper around that board so it can both serve as a fancy desktop and as a
portable background for my future Instagram flatlays.
Versatility is key people.
After wrapping it, I was left with about 100 x 14cm of this contact paper. Perhaps it’s because it’s back-to-school season, but I have been
seeing a lot of photos of notebooks with marble covers floating around social media. So,
I had the idea of using this last piece of my contact paper to wrap the cover
of an existing notebook which I didn’t use because I hated the primary school
logo on it.
Since contact paper is
self-adhesive and firm, it will not tear easily and it will give an expensive
look to your regular notebook. So are you ready for the simplest DIY in your
life? Let’s go!
YOU WILL NEED:
A hardcover notebook;
Contact paper or otherwise known as self-adhesive foil {
THIS
is the
exact pattern and brand I used}
Pen/pencil;
A pair of scissors;
A small clean cloth;
|| STEP 1||
The backing paper will have
guidelines so measure the size of your notebook on it. Use a pen or a pencil to
put your marks and remember to leave at least 1.5 cm around the edges of your
cover so you can fold them in and get nice clean edges. Since my notebook had
elastic closure and a solid background whose color I didn’t mind, I only
wrapped the cover, but you can go ahead and wrap the whole thing if you want
to.
||
STEP 2||
This is the important part. After
cutting your desired shape and size, don’t peel off the entire backing paper
and just slap it on. If you do that, you will end up with air bubbles. You will
also read this on the backing paper itself, but remove only 2-3cm of it and
fold it. Apply the adhesive paper on the top part of your cover {don’t forget to
leave out the extra 1.5cm and make sure your cover is clean so you don’t have
any bumps later} and smooth it down from the center towards the
edges using a clean cloth. Slowly remove the backing paper as you
simultaneously push out air with your cloth.
I was the one taking the photos so
sadly I couldn’t show you this part, but you can see that I flipped my notebook
so I can follow the exact line where the cover folds.
|| STEP 3||
After you finish smoothing out the
cover, flip your notebook and fold in your edges. I first folded the top and
bottom edges, smoothed them out, made two 45 degrees folds, and
then folded and smoothed out the vertical side.
Lastly,
I closed the notebook with its elastic strap, had some aronia berry juice my
mom made in a fancy cup, and enjoyed the scent of my perfume coming from my
artificial callas.
Thank you for reading and don't forget to tag me if you do this DIY!
ASPIRE HIGHER!
hugs,
Dilek
Labels: DIY