제 방!
(My room!)
YOU
THINK YOU KNOW ALL there is to know about winter troubles until you find
yourself moving from one apartment to the next and nature suddenly decides to
act like a mischievous kid and throws a snowy tantrum filled with unimaginable
icy tricks and traps under your feet. You have no idea what I meant with that
sentence? Well good, because that's how confused I felt when during our move it
snowed so heavily, in just an hour I was transformed into Olaf carrying heavy
bags, boxes, and plywood up and down two flights of stairs. You never realize
how fast nature works until you have to battle it.
Yet, despite
afterwards suffering from limp arms from carrying heavy items and swollen feet
due to walking like a penguin in order not to slip on ice, I was happy to know
that my room was slowly coming together. After having combed almost every
furniture store in the city, we realized that we were not going to find the
affordable yet fits-all-the-crap-Dilek-owns wardrobe, so my dad and I sat down and
decided to design a wardrobe according to our needs (ahem, my needs, ahem).
In the end, after
all the maths, the numerous trips to the factory, the putting it all together,
the incessant whipping clean, and the long-hours folding, arranging, and
stacking clothes, this is the result. I personally love it. Dad did a great job
for a person who is DIY obsessed but has no formal training in putting together
furniture.
This experience
also made me aware of how many stuff I had and I probably cleaned out half of
my clothes and donated them to people who needed them more. That made me even
happier. I got more free space and I got to help others.
I rolled out my
new carpet, sewed some new curtains, stacked my boxes wrapped with wallpaper
one on top of the other, brought in my 2 sewing machines - one of which is Singer and it's has
been in our family for 5+ generations - and now I am slowly planning on
decorating one wall with frames and another with shelves as well as finding
good fabric to make new bed sheets and comforter. I say slowly because my 8th and 6th semesters just started and I will be hella busy working
on my graduation project for my first faculty.
But let's not have
that pending responsibility deter my mood. I am happy in my new room. So happy,
I barely come out of it.
Hmm....This may not end well...lol.
Thank you for reading, loves!
ASPIRE HIGHER!
hugs,
Dilek
Labels: DIY, Home Decor