I REMEMBER BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL a classmate, thin as a model, hilarious and calculated as a comedian, but with the memory of a goldfish (which was why we actually called her goldfish and had her imitate Dory of "Finding Nemo") asked me why I never wore skinny jeans. The reason was quite simple: After 6th grade, for 3 consecutive winters I had experienced health fragility and I got sick to the point where I was unable to sleep at night due to blocked airways. As a result, I always wore oversized clothing so I could layer and keep myself warm, and straight-fit jeans were more comfortable than skinny jeans. I, of course, didn't explain this to her.
Frankly my dears, I don't even remember what I answered her, but knowing my inability to produce quick witty responses unless I have thought about the topic beforehand, it must have been something completely weird.
Nowadays I view layering quite differently: as a way to mix and match pieces without sacrificing the way I look and my comfort. My outfit here incorporates my newest addition to my closet:
THIS JACKET which I finished sewing on the same day I published that twitter pic (or should I say night since it was well past 3am when my head hit the pillow). As much as I love clean outfits, there is something about messing around with layers that not only keeps me warm, but also increases the versatility of my clothes. As my health improved through embracing healthy eating and incorporating Pilates on a regular basis, I was able to start wearing skinny jeans as well, but don't be fooled...I still love my comfortable oversized clothes hence the joy I felt upon seeing that most designers for their FW 2014 collections embraced the comfort trend.